Scones


Today I helped Navi, the main cook at Cafe Eden, make scones. And whilst we were working, she taught me some khmer words. So it was a fair exchange.

Navi is in her early 30s and has been working at the cafe for nearly two years. Her husband is a tuk tuk driver and they have a 12 year old daughter.

She's an amazing cook. Comes up with some great ideas. This is her take on fishcakes, for example:


Lemongrass stalks wrapped in a layer of fish, breadcrumbed and then shallow fried.

I used to hate fishcakes at school so I tried this the other day with some trepidation. Was hugely relieved when it arrived. Not at all what I was expecting and not a hint of sage or whatever it was that used to make me gag as a seven year old. Just a great tasting snack using local ingredients served colourfully and simply.

Great place, Cafe Eden. And they do some fab scones too.....

Comments